Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lebanon, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lebanon, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Lebanon, IL. Bicycle accidents can be terrifying and life-shattering. Whether you're a veteran Lebanon, IL cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the outcome of a bicycle crashes can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Lebanon, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex legal system and secure the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Lebanon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the United States, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Lebanon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lebanon, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of knowledgeable Lebanon, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Lebanon, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Lebanon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Lebanon, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Lebanon, IL lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Lebanon, IL. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Lebanon, IL?
Bike wrecks happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Lebanon, IL, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Lebanon, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle crash is a trying and surprising occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle crash in Lebanon, IL, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a doctor within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the higher your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to the wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lebanon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Lebanon, IL, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that require a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Lebanon, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Lebanon, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Lebanon, IL. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.