Bike Wreck Lawyer in Mexico, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mexico, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Mexico, MO. Bicycle wrecks can be scary and life-changing. Whether you're an experienced Mexico, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike wrecks can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Mexico, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Mexico, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Mexico, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Mexico, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of experienced Mexico, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike accident claims. We have the experience and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Mexico, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Mexico, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Mexico, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll discuss your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Mexico, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Mexico, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Mexico, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Mexico, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled Mexico, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike crash is a trying and unanticipated occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike wreck in Mexico, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mexico, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Mexico, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Mexico, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Mexico, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Mexico, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.