Bike Wreck Lawyer in Osage Beach, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Osage Beach, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Osage Beach, MO. Bike accidents are horrifying and life-shattering. Whether you're an experienced Osage Beach, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the outcome of a bicycle accidents can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Osage Beach, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured on both sides of the river. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Osage Beach, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Osage Beach, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Osage Beach, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Osage Beach, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Osage Beach, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Osage Beach, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Osage Beach, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Osage Beach, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Osage Beach, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Osage Beach, MO?
Bicycle crashes occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be caused by mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Osage Beach, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented Osage Beach, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their reckless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a stressful and surprising occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike accident in Osage Beach, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Osage Beach, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Osage Beach, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Osage Beach, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Osage Beach, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Osage Beach, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.