Bike Wreck Lawyer in Owensville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Owensville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Owensville, MO. Bicycle accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Owensville, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the repercussions of a bike accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Owensville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should be able to have the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Owensville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the United States, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Owensville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Owensville, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Owensville, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Owensville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Owensville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Owensville, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll review your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Owensville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Owensville, MO. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Owensville, MO?
Bike wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Owensville, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a skilled Owensville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike crash is a trying and surprising event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Owensville, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to assign liability in accidents, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Owensville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Owensville, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Owensville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Owensville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Owensville, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.