Bike Wreck Lawyer in Madison, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Madison, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Madison, IL. Bike accidents are scary and devastating. Whether you're a consistent Madison, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Madison, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex legal system and receive the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to afford the same excellent legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Madison, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Madison, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from past clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Madison, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our group of knowledgeable Madison, IL bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident claims. We have the experience and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Madison, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our Madison, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Madison, IL offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Madison, IL firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Madison, IL. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Madison, IL?
Bike crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Madison, IL, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a skilled Madison, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their careless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle crash is a stressful and unanticipated occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle wreck in Madison, IL, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Madison, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Madison, IL, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck caused more severe injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Madison, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Madison, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Madison, IL. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.