Bike Wreck Lawyer in Vandalia, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Vandalia, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Vandalia, MO. Bike wrecks are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Vandalia, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Vandalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Vandalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Vandalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are several key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from previous clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Vandalia, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of knowledgeable Vandalia, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Vandalia, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Vandalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Vandalia, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Vandalia, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Vandalia, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Vandalia, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Vandalia, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Vandalia, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their reckless actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike crash is a stressful and unexpected event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bike crash in Vandalia, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine liability in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Vandalia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Vandalia, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck caused more severe injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Vandalia, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Vandalia, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Vandalia, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.