Bike Wreck Lawyer in Moberly, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moberly, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Moberly, MO. Bicycle accidents are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Moberly, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to afford the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Moberly, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Moberly, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Moberly, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Moberly, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Moberly, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Moberly, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Moberly, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll discuss your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Moberly, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Moberly, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Moberly, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be the result of mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially in the dark, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Moberly, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Moberly, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and unanticipated occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Moberly, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to assign blame in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Moberly, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Moberly, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck caused more severe injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Moberly, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Moberly, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Moberly, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.