Bike Wreck Lawyer in Boonville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Boonville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Boonville, MO. Bike crashes are terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're a seasoned Boonville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Boonville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Boonville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Boonville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want an attorney who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Boonville, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Boonville, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Boonville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Boonville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Boonville, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Boonville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Boonville, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Boonville, MO?
Bicycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, debris, broken pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially in the dark, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Boonville, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring an experienced Boonville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle accident is a trying and surprising experience. However, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Boonville, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Boonville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Boonville, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash caused more serious injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Boonville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be decreased based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Boonville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Boonville, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.