Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis County, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Louis County, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St. Louis County, MO. Bike accidents are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced St. Louis County, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right St. Louis County, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and secure the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
St. Louis County, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account just one percent of trips in the United States, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best St. Louis County, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis County, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis County, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your St. Louis County, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our St. Louis County, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St. Louis County, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your case with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our St. Louis County, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our St. Louis County, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St. Louis County, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in St. Louis County, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable St. Louis County, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike accident is a stressful and surprising occurrence. But, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in St. Louis County, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the more expensive your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign fault in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About St. Louis County, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in St. Louis County, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St. Louis County, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis County, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in St. Louis County, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.