Slip and Fall Lawyer Kirkwood, MO
Kirkwood, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Kirkwood, MO. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident because someone did not keep their property reasonably safe, trust in an experienced and talented Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Kirkwood, MO causes your injuries. Property owners and managers have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for people who are on it legally, and when their property is unsafe they owe you damages. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, call a Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit Nationwide, and slip and fall injuries account for about 1 million visits per year. While it is sometimes complicated to understand who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how to go about getting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and get you the compensation you are owed. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot get you a fair settlement in negotiation we will take your case to court.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide range of injuries that your Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you receive compensation for. How much compensation you receive will depend on the seriousness of your injury and the extent of the effect it has on your life. Common injuries you can experience in a slip and fall accident are:
- Fractures, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more severe than others, and how serious they are will impact your compensation. An injury to the nervous system may leave you disabled for the rest of your life, while a sprained wrist might only need a quick visit to a Kirkwood, MO emergency room and limited time off work. Whatever the scope of the effect your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will ensure that you are awarded a full recovery. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or future earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you suffered as a result of your slip and fall.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Kirkwood, MO Can Help
An injury is always unexpected, and most people don't know the first thing about the injury claims process. A knowledgeable Kirkwood, MO personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the full financial recovery you are owed. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your injuries, including acquiring video footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and applying the law to prove liability
- Take your feelings into consideration, so we can convey to the insurance company the full extent of your damages
- Handle all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to minimize your claim
- Keep you updated at all times, and offer you advise based on our experience and knowledge while allowing you to make what you believe to be the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate with the insurance company for maximum compensation
- Take the fight to court if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or you suffered permanent disability and need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we do for those who have been injured through another's negligence.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Kirkwood, MO, the applicable law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a obligations to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a dangerous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you suffer a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner neglected to either repair or warn of, you have a case for premises liability. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a hard task, and requires the skill of a talented Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer.
Kirkwood, MO has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff can be found somewhat responsible for their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will attempt to place as much responsibility for the injury on you as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of money you receive will be substantially lowered. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be awarded $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% liable for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is imperative to have a knowledgeable Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help decrease the percentage of fault placed on you for your injury. To place as much of the responsibility for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will commonly try to say that:
- You should have noticed the dangerous condition
- You were not paying adequate attention to your surroundings, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the premises that is off-limits to patrons
- Appropriate steps were taken to keep you safe, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the surroundings
Kirkwood, MO insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an skilled Halvorsen Klote Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer will stand up to them and prove liability by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident occurred at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation case and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in Kirkwood, MO?
There are countless different property conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. You may be able to file a slip and fall claim if you were injured because of:
- Black ice
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a floor cleaned with a slippery product
- Broken buildings, for example broken handrails or floors that collapse easily
- Poorly constructed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Stray cords
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how the person in control of a property caused your injuries. If you were injured because someone did not keep their property safe, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Slip and Fall in Kirkwood, MO?
How much you'll receive in compensation depends on a variety of factors, including how much your injuries cost you economically, how your injuries affected your mentally and physically and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. The compensation you receive for any injury claim generally falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages compensate you for the financial losses you have sustained because of your injuries. They include:
- Medical costs — You are owed compensation for any treatments you needed in your recovery, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical therapy or chiropractic care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning potential — If you lost any wages while you were recovering from your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if your employer provides sick leave. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to earn a living as you used to, you also deserve compensation for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or needing to hire a nanny if you were unable to care for them while recovering.
It's essential that you have a record of every dollar you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Usually, slip and fall lawyers look for compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local YMCA league, and now have to miss the season, you are entitled to a financial recovery equal to the amount you suffered. In most cases, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. Meaning that if your economic damages total $20,000, and a trier of act decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 financial recovery.
To demonstrate non-economic damages to an insurance adjuster or jury, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who are familiar with what you usually do and how you usually feel.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide range of personal injury cases. Check out the links below to see more about the services we offer.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Kirkwood, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can give rise to anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong complications. When you are hurt because of another person's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, particularly when the liable party does not want to pay you the compensation you deserve. An HK Law Kirkwood, MO slip and fall lawyer understands how insurance companies try to get out of paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Kirkwood, MO if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.