Slip and Fall Lawyer Glen Carbon, IL
Glen Carbon, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Glen Carbon, IL. If you were injured in a slip and fall incident because someone did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, trust in an experienced and savvy Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Glen Carbon, IL causes your injuries. Property owners and managers have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for people who are on it legally, and when their property is unsafe they owe you damages. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident, call a Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit Nationwide, and slip and fall injuries account for 12 percent of those visits. While it is sometimes complicated to figure out who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how to go about receiving compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you are entitled to. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot secure a fair settlement in negotiation we will argue your case in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide range of injuries that your Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you collect compensation for. How much compensation you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injury and the consequences it has for other parts of your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Injuries vary greatly in how serious they are, and how serious they are will impact your compensation. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you disabled for years, while a sprained knee may require a quick trip to a Glen Carbon, IL emergency room and a week off work. No matter the scope of the effect your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make certain that you receive a full recovery. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost pay or future earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced as a result of your slip and fall.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL Can Help
No one anticipates being injured. A knowledgeable Glen Carbon, IL personal injury lawyer like ours will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the maximum compensation you are entitled to. Upon enlisting our services, we will:
- Conduct a full investigation into your claim, including obtaining security footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and applying the law to prove liability
- Listen to what you have to say, so we know what true compensation really means
- Handle all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Keep you involved at all times, and provide you with advise based on our experience and knowledge while allowing you to make what you feel is the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a full financial recovery
- Take your claim to court if we cannot secure fair compensation in a settlement
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or your injuries are debilitating and you need financial security, call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we do for injury victims.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Glen Carbon, IL, the pertinent law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a duty to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a dangerous condition, they must warn you of it and do what they can to fix it. If you receive a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner neglected to either fix or warn of, you have a case for negligence. Proving negligence is a hard task, and requires the savvy of an experienced Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Glen Carbon, IL has what is referred to as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some legal responsibility their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to place as much responsibility for the injury on you as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of compensation you collect will be significantly lowered. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% responsible for the accident, the amount of compensation you collect will be $40,000. That's why it is essential to have a talented Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help decrease the percentage of fault placed on you for your injury. To place as much of the responsibility for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will frequently try to say that:
- You should have noticed the dangerous condition
- You were distracted, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the premises where visitors are not allowed
- Reasonable steps were taken to protect customers, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the surroundings
Glen Carbon, IL insurance companies have a lot of experience trying to pin the blame for slip and fall accidents on the person who was injured. But an expert Halvorsen Klote Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer will fight back against them and prove negligence by the other party.
If you were working when you suffered your slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the leading cause of workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation case and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Causes Slip and Fall Injuries in Glen Carbon, IL?
There are numerous different property conditions that can cause someone to fall and become injured. Common causes of slip and falls include:
- Black ice
- Wet surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken buildings, for example broken steps or loose floorboards
- Poorly constructed buildings, for example excessively steep stairs
- Stray wiring
Halvorsen Klote has more than a decade of experience investigating claims and proving how a property owner or manager was negligent. If you have medical bills and lost wages because someone did not keep their property safe, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Glen Carbon, IL?
How much you'll receive in compensation is based on numerous factors, including the financial losses you sustained because of your injuries, how your injuries affected your emotionally and physically and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. Your financial recovery for any injury claim usually falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are meant to reimburse you for the monetary damages you have sustained as a result of your slip and fall. They include:
- Medical costs — You need to be reimbursed for any treatments you needed to heal, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you lost any wages while you were recovering from your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries result in permanent disability that doesn't allow you to earn a living as you used to, you are entitled to a recovery for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. Examples can include transportation costs to and from medical treatments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or needing to hire a nanny to watch over your children.
It's important that you have a record of every dime you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Usually, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing guitar and had to wear a cast on your arm for four months, you deserve to be compensated for that. In most cases, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. So if your economic damages are $20,000, and a trier of act decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 payout.
To prove non-economic damages, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience getting great results for our Glen Carbon, IL clients in a variety of personal injury cases. Clink on the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Glen Carbon, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can cause anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong complications. When you are hurt owing to somebody else's negligence, it leads to confusion and anger, particularly when the at-fault party does not want to pay you the money you deserve. An HK Law Glen Carbon, IL slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to get out of paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Glen Carbon, IL if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to get in touch with us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.