Premises Liability Attorneys Glen Carbon, IL
Glen Carbon, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Review | Glen Carbon, IL Slip and Fall Attorneys
Premises liability attorneys in Glen Carbon, IL. Property owners in Glen Carbon, IL have a duty to take reasonable measures to prevent people who enter the premises from becoming hurt. But too often, they neglect that duty, and good people are injured through the property owner's negligence. If you or a loved one was injured on someone else's property, you need knowledgeable Glen Carbon, IL premises liability attorneys to get you the full financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are devoted to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and injury victims every day. We take cases in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard to see our clients get the justice and recognition they deserve. Call our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability fairly similarly: A property owner has a duty to inform people of or fix a "dangerous condition" they either knew of or should have been aware of through reasonable care. If they don't, they are responsible for any injuries sustained because of the dangerous condition.
The states do differ in one key way, related to the duty of care owed to different kinds of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Glen Carbon, IL Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between three types of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone whose presence on the property benefits the property owner or manager. This can be people dining at a restaurant or someone shopping in a grocery store. A public invitee is someone on property that the public can access, such as a park or a library. Property owners are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by hazards they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who has the permission of the property owner to be on the premises, but there is no express financial benefit to either of them. This can mean a family member coming over for dinner, but the law might apply to someone who stopped into an establishment just to use the restroom. In Illinois, there is no legal distinction between invitees and licensees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for dangers they had express knowledge of; the "should have known" standard doesn't apply when a licensee is injured.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the site without consent of the property owner. Because of that, they do not have the same protections as invitees and licensees, meaning they can't make a claim for a financial recovery. There are two exceptions:
- Pursuant to Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, property owners are not immune from liability if they acted with "willful and wanton misconduct." Meaning, if the owner intentionally created or allowed a danger to be there because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, the trespasser may be able to sue the owner.
- Under the attractive nuisance theory, property owners might be liable if a child gets hurt while trespassing. An "attractive nuisance" is something that is likely to attract children. Examples could be swimming pools, trampolines or power tools. In this instance, the child and their family can make a claim for compensation.
What Do I Need to File a Premises Liability Claim in Glen Carbon, IL?
In any personal injury case, you must prove the following four elements in order to win a claim for negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the property owner or manager owe you a duty of care to protect you from unreasonable harm? The degree of a landowner's duty of care depends on whether you're a invitee, licensee or trespasser and your jurisdiction. Typically, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their responsibility, property owners are considered to have breached their duty. That could mean not fixing a broken staircase, or not roping off a section that has a dangerous condition.
- Causation — Did the dangerous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because you had inappropriate footwear for the area, you may not have a valid claim against the property owner. Likewise, if you didn't observe an obvious hazard because you were looking at your phone, the property owner may argue that you were injured because you were distracted, not because of the dangerous condition.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you need to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show economic harm, including lost wages and medical expenses, to make a claim for how the injury impacted you physically and emotionally. If you sustained a bruise, but had no expenses due to your injury, you may not have a valid claim.
Halvorsen Klote's Glen Carbon, IL premises liability attorneys have gotten great results for our clients in a variety of cases. If you want to discuss your case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, call one of our attorneys for free today at 866-382-4167.
Most Common Premises Liability Lawsuit in Glen Carbon, IL
Slip and Falls
Falling is by far the most common nonfatal preventable injury. Slip and falls account for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the primary cause of lost days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Slippery floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose wiring
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, offices or hotels. The owners of these properties must guard against potential criminal activity that may reasonable occur. Examples of adequate security could include security guards or needing a code to enter the property. Typically, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security occur after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the police and criminal courts are responsible for convicting the offender, you'll usually need to file a civil lawsuit – with the aid of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner in order to get justice in the form of financial compensation.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents are most common in children. Drowning is the leading cause of death to children under the age of five. Public swimming pools must be properly supervised, and have strict measures to protect children from injuring themselves.
In 2016, over 30,000 people sought emergency medical attention for injuries suffered at amusement parks. Negligence can include mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, ride ejections, electrician poor designs. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides meet safety requirements. If they didn't and you ended up injured, our Glen Carbon, IL premises liability attorneys will hold them accountable.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
Local Glen Carbon, IL laws are stringent when it comes to fire codes for all types of properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Glen Carbon, IL premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from blocked doors or escape routes to leaving debris around heating units.
Construction companies have a responsibility to keep their construction zones safe. If you were injured in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was dangerous, you can hold the construction company responsible for premises liability.
Whatever the nature of your specific injuries, if you were injured on someone else's property or in a public space, call Halvorsen Klote's Glen Carbon, IL premises liability attorneys for the best possible compensation you're entitled to.
How Much Is My Glen Carbon, IL Premises Liability Claim Worth?
The damages you recover after a premises liability accident are meant to compensate you for the economic, physical and mental hardships your injuries cause. With knowledgeable Glen Carbon, IL premises liability attorneys, you'll be compensated for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if you can no longer work
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as transportation to and from medical appointments
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, disability, disfigurement and loss of consortium
How much your premises liability claim is worth will be based on how serious your injuries are, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Glen Carbon, IL premises liability attorneys.
The Role of Your Glen Carbon, IL Premises Liability Attorneys
Given the complex nature of litigation and premises liability laws, having a qualified lawyer on your side is paramount. When you hire us, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and develop a legal strategy that gets you the most compensation possible
- Acquire evidence, including maintenance logs, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or surveillance footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may be familiar with the dangerous condition
- Answer the phone when you call and keep you up-to-date on the status of your claim
- Handle all the legal aspects of your claim so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate the best possible settlement for you
- Take the fight to trial if the other side will not be fair in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Glen Carbon, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Reach Out to Halvorsen Klote's Glen Carbon, IL Premises Liability Attorneys Today
The idea of having to fight back against a powerful corporation can be intimidating. But, if they or their policyholder caused you harm, you are entitled to full compensation. We've devoted our lives to offering the injured the same high-quality legal advocacy as the people who injured them. If you were injured because of a Glen Carbon, IL property owner's negligence, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a complimentary case evaluation.