Premises Liability Attorneys Hazelwood, MO
Hazelwood, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Consultation | Hazelwood, MO Slip and Fall Lawyers
Premises liability attorneys in Hazelwood, MO. Anyone who is in control of a property in Hazelwood, MO has a duty to take reasonable precautions to prevent injuries on the premises. Unfortunately, a lot of times they fail in that responsibility, and innocent people who did nothing wrong get hurt. If you or a loved one was injured on public or private property, you need experienced Hazelwood, MO premises liability attorneys to get you the full financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are devoted to offering injury victims the same standard of legal representation as large corporations and insurance companies. We take cases in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard to see our clients get the justice and recognition they deserve. Speak to our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability fairly similarly: A property owner has an obligation to inform people of or repair a "dangerous condition" they either were aware of or should have known of through reasonable maintenance. If they don't, they can be held liable for any injuries sustained as a result of the poorly maintained property.
The states do differ in one key way, and it concerns the duty of care owed to different kinds of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Hazelwood, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law differentiates between three classes of visitors in premises liability claims:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone who is visiting the premises to benefit themselves and/or the proprietor. This can include a customer in a retail store or someone watching a movie at a movie theater. A public invitee is someone on property that the public can access, such as recreational areas or a library. Those in control of the property are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's permission, but the owner doesn't get any express benefit from their presence. This can mean a friend staying at your house, but the law might apply to someone who came into a restaurant just to ask for directions. In Illinois, licensees have the same legal protections as invitees. In Missouri, property owners can only be held accountable for hazards they knew about; the "should have known" standard doesn't apply when a licensee is injured.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the premises without consent of the property owner. Therefore, they do not have the same rights as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't make a claim for a financial recovery. There are two exceptions:
- According to Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, property owners are not immune from liability if they acted with "willful and wanton misconduct." Meaning, if the owner created or maintained a hazardous condition because they wanted to injure a trespasser, they can still be held responsible.
- Under the attractive nuisance doctrine, property owners may be liable if a child gets hurt while trespassing. An "attractive nuisance" is something that is likely to attract children. Examples could be swimming pools, ladders or construction projects. If a child is injured by or because of an attractive nuisance, the family of the child may still make a claim against the landowner for the child's injuries.
Proving Your Premises Liability Claim in Hazelwood, MO
With all personal injury claims, you must prove the four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the property owner or manager owe you a duty of care to keep you from unreasonable harm? The degree of a landowner's duty of care depends on whether you're a invitee, licensee or trespasser and your jurisdiction. Generally, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they neglect their duty, that constitutes a violation of that responsibility. That could mean not mopping up a wet spot on the floor, or not putting a "wet floor" sign out.
- Causation — Did the hazardous condition cause or contribute to your injuries? If you fell because you were running, you may not be able to show that the property owner was negligent. Similarly, if you didn't observe warning signs because you weren't looking where you were going, you might not be able to make a claim.
- Damages — To have a valid claim, you need to have suffered harm. Usually, you need to show economic loss, such as lost wages and medical bills, to make a claim for how the injury impacted you physically and emotionally. If you sustained a bruise, but had no expenses due to your injury, you may not have a valid claim.
Halvorsen Klote's Hazelwood, MO premises liability attorneys have proven numerous premises liability claims. If you want to see if you have a case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys at no charge at 866-382-4167.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents in Hazelwood, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is the number one most common nonfatal preventable injury. Slip and falls account for over one million emergency room visits a year, and are the number one reason people need to lose days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Wet or oily floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, offices or hotels. The owners of these properties must take reasonable steps to ensure that dangerous people don't have access to the building, or certain areas of it. Examples of this could include security guards or needing a keycard to enter the building. Typically, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security occur after someone has been the victim of a crime. While the criminal justice system may secure a conviction of the offender, you'll typically need to file a civil lawsuit – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner in order to get justice in the form of financial compensation.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the leading cause of death to children between one and four years old. Public swimming pools must be properly supervised, and barriers and lifejacket rules should also be in place to help protect children.
In 2016, over 30,000 people sought emergency medical attention for injuries sustained at amusement parks. Injuries can be caused by mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, malfunctioning safety belts, electrician structural issues. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides meet safety requirements. If you were injured because of their negligence, our Hazelwood, MO premises liability attorneys will help you secure justice and maximum compensation.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
There are strict laws for smoke detectors and fire exits in public, private and business properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Hazelwood, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from blocked exits to leaving debris around heating units.
Construction zones need to be coned or roped off with sufficient warning signage. If you were injured in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was not properly secured, you can make a claim against the construction company.
Whatever the nature of your specific injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager was negligent, call Halvorsen Klote's Hazelwood, MO premises liability attorneys for the full financial recovery you're entitled to.
What Compensation Can I Receive For My Hazelwood, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
How much your injuries worth depends on the financial, physical and emotional toll your injuries cause. With skilled Hazelwood, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure a financial recovery:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if your accident results in permanent disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as transportation to and from medical appointments
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, physical impairment, scarring and loss of consortium
How much money you get in your premises liability settlement will be based on how serious your injuries are, how they have affected your life and the skill and experience of your Hazelwood, MO premises liability attorneys.
The Role of Your Hazelwood, MO Premises Liability Attorneys
Given the complex nature of litigation and premises liability laws, the role of a lawyer is paramount. Your Halvorsen Klote premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and develop a legal strategy that gets you the best possible results
- Acquire evidence, including maintenance logs, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or surveillance footage
- Interview witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Answer the phone when you call and keep you up-to-date on the status of your claim
- Handle all the legal aspects of your claim so you can focus on healing
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf
- Take the liable party to court if the other side will not be fair in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Hazelwood, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Speak to Halvorsen Klote's Hazelwood, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Now
The thought of having to fight back against a large insurance company can be intimidating. But, if they or their policyholder injured you by their negligence, nothing should be able to keep you from getting the financial recovery you are owed. We've devoted our careers to helping the average person get the same high-quality legal representation as powerful corporations and insurance companies. If you were injured because of a Hazelwood, MO property owner's negligence, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.