Premises Liability Attorneys Holts Summit, MO
Holts Summit, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Holts Summit, MO Slip and Fall Attorneys
Premises liability attorneys in Holts Summit, MO. Anyone who owns or operates a property in Holts Summit, MO has a responsibility to ensure their property is reasonably safe for people who are legally on it. Unfortunately, a lot of times they fail in that responsibility, and innocent people are injured through the property owner's negligence. If you or a loved one was injured on public or private property, you need experienced Holts Summit, MO premises liability attorneys to fight for your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are dedicated to offering injury victims the same excellent legal advocacy as large corporations and insurance companies. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Speak to our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability fairly similarly: A property owner has an obligation to warn against or repair a "dangerous condition" they either were aware of or should have been aware of through reasonable care. If they don't, they are responsible for any injuries suffered because of the poorly maintained property.
The states do differ in one key aspect, and it concerns the duty of care owed to different types of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Holts Summit, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between invitees, licensees and trespassers:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone who is on the property to benefit themselves and/or the proprietor. This can be people dining at a restaurant or someone shopping in a grocery store. A public invitee is someone on property that the public can access, for example bike paths or a library. Property owners are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by dangers they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's consent, but there is no express financial benefit to either of them. This can mean a family member coming over for dinner, but the law might apply to someone who came into a grocery store just to use the restroom. In Illinois, licensees have the same rights as invitees. In Missouri, property owners are only liable for hazards they knew about – not ones they "should have known about.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the property illegally. Therefore, they do not have the same protections as people that are allowed to be there, meaning they can't make a claim to get compensated for their injuries. There are a couple of exceptions:
- Under the Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, property owners are not immune from liability if they acted with "willful and wanton misconduct." Meaning, if the owner created or maintained a hazardous condition because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, they can still be held liable.
- Under the attractive nuisance principle, property owners may be liable if a child gets hurt while trespassing. An "attractive nuisance" is something present on the property that could be alluring to a child. Examples could be swimming pools, ladders or construction projects. If a child is injured by or because of an attractive nuisance, the family of the child may still sue the property owner or manager for the child's injuries.
What Do I Need to File a Premises Liability Claim in Holts Summit, MO?
In any personal injury case, you must demonstrate how the four elements of negligence apply to your injuries:
- Duty of care — Did the property owner or manager owe you a duty of care to prevent unreasonable risks of injury? The degree of the property owner's or manager's responsibility to keep you safe depends on what kind of visitor you are and your jurisdiction. Generally, anybody who is allowed to be on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they neglect their responsibility, that constitutes a breach of that responsibility. That could mean not mopping up a wet spot on the floor, or not roping off a section that isn't safe.
- Causation — Did the dangerous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because you were running, it's likely not the property owner's fault. Likewise, if you didn't observe warning signs because you weren't looking where you were going, the property owner may argue that your inattention caused your injuries, not the hazard.
- Damages — To have a valid claim, you have to show that you suffered injuries, loss and other expenses. Usually, you need to show financial loss, including lost wages and medical expenses, to make a claim for how the injury impacted you physically and emotionally. If you sustained a few bumps and scrapes, but did not suffer any financial loss, you may not have a valid claim.
Halvorsen Klote's Holts Summit, MO premises liability attorneys have taken on, proven and won these types of cases before. If you have any doubts about the validity of your claim, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys for free today at 866-382-4167.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents in Holts Summit, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is the number one most common nonfatal preventable injury. Slip and falls account for 12% of total falls that lead to emergency room visits, and are the primary cause of lost days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Slippery floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment complexes, office buildings or hotels. The owners of these properties must take reasonable steps to ensure that dangerous people don't have access to the building, or certain areas of it. Examples of this could include a doorman or requiring a code to enter the property. Generally, lawsuits for inadequate or negligent security are filed after someone being injured due to a violent crime. While the criminal justice system may secure a conviction of the offender, you'll usually need to file a civil lawsuit – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner in order to get justice in the form of financial compensation.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the primary cause of fatalities in children under the age of five. Public swimming pools must be properly supervised, and fences and lifejacket rules should also be in place to help protect children.
In 2016, approximately 30,900 people sought emergency medical attention for injuries suffered at amusement parks. Injuries can be caused by mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, malfunctioning seat belts, electric shocks poor designs. Anybody who is in control of a theme park must ensure that the rides are properly designed, maintained, inspected and repaired. If you were injured because of their negligence, our Holts Summit, MO premises liability attorneys will help you secure justice and a full financial recovery.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
Local Holts Summit, MO laws are stringent when it comes to fire codes for all types of properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Holts Summit, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from poor handling of flammabale materials to missing or broken smoke alarms.
Construction companies have an obligation to keep their construction zones safe. If you were injured in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was dangerous, you can hold the construction company responsible for your injuries.
However you suffered your injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager was negligent, call Halvorsen Klote's Holts Summit, MO premises liability attorneys for the full compensation you deserve.
How Much Are My Holts Summit, MO Premises Liability Injuries Worth?
The value of your claim depends on the economic, physical and mental hardships your injuries cause. With talented Holts Summit, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure compensation:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning potential if your accident results in permanent disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as hiring household services for chores you can't do while you're injured
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent impairment, disfigurement and loss of consortium
How much your premises liability injuries are worth will be based on the severity of your injuries, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Holts Summit, MO premises liability attorneys.
What Our Holts Summit, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Can Do For You
When it comes to pursuing a premises liability case, having a qualified lawyer on your side is paramount. When you hire us, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and develop a legal strategy that gets you the most compensation possible
- Gather evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or surveillance footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may have knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Be available whenever you need us to be and answer any question you may have
- Handle all the legal aspects of your claim so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Negotiate the best possible settlement for you
- Take the property owner or manager to court if we cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Holts Summit, MO include:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Speak to Halvorsen Klote's Holts Summit, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Today
The notion of going up against a powerful corporation can be intimidating. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, you deserve full compensation. We've committed our practice to offering injury victims the same high-quality legal advocacy as powerful corporations and insurance companies. If you were injured because of a Holts Summit, MO property owner's negligence, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a free case review.