Premises Liability Attorneys Hannibal, MO
Hannibal, MO Personal Injury Law Firm
Call 866-382-4167 for a No-risk, No-obligation Case Evaluation | Hannibal, MO Slip and Fall Lawyers
Premises liability attorneys in Hannibal, MO. Property managers in Hannibal, MO have an obligation to ensure their property is reasonably safe for patrons. But too often, they neglect that duty, and good people are injured through no fault of their own. If you or a loved one was injured on someone else's property, you need knowledgeable Hannibal, MO premises liability attorneys to get you the maximum compensation you're entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, our attorneys are committed to leveling the playing field between large corporations and insurance companies and injury victims every day. We fight for the injured in both Missouri and Illinois, and fight hard so our clients can finally get a sense of justice and recognition. Speak to our premises liability attorneys today 866-382-4167 or fill out our online form for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
What Are the Premises Liability Laws in Missouri and Illinois?
Both states treat premises liability fairly similarly: A property owner has a duty to inform people of or fix a "dangerous condition" they either were aware of or should have known of through reasonable care. If they don't, they can be held accountable for any injuries suffered as a result of the dangerous condition.
The states are different in one key aspect, related to the duty of care property owners must give different categories of visitors.
Types of Visitors in Hannibal, MO Premises Liability Cases
The law distinguishes between invitees, licensees and trespassers:
- Invitees — A business invitee is someone who is visiting the premises to benefit themselves and/or the proprietor. This can include people dining at a restaurant or hotel guests. Invitees can also be considered people on property the public is allowed to be on, such as bike paths or a library. Those in control of the property are liable for an invitee's injuries caused by hazards they knew about or should have known about.
- Licensees — A licensee is someone who is on the property with the owner's permission, but there is no express financial benefit to either of them. These can be social guests, but the law might apply to someone who stopped into a store just to ask for directions. In Illinois, there is no legal distinction between invitees and licensees. In Missouri, property owners can only be held accountable for hazards they knew about; the "should have known" doctrine doesn't apply when a licensee is injured.
- Trespassers — Trespassers are on the property illegally. Therefore, they do not have the same protections as the first two categories, meaning they can't sue the property owner for a financial recovery. There are two exceptions:
- Under the Illinois Premises Liability Act and Missouri Revised Statute §537.349, property owners are not immune from liability if they acted with "willful and wanton conduct." Meaning, if the owner created or maintained a hazardous condition because they wanted trespassers to get hurt, they can still be held liable.
- Under the attractive nuisance principle, property owners may be liable if a child gets hurt while trespassing. An "attractive nuisance" is something present on the property that could be alluring to a child. Examples could be swimming pools, ladders or old appliances. In this instance, the child and their family can make a claim for a financial recovery.
What Do I Need to File a Premises Liability Claim in Hannibal, MO?
With all personal injury claims, you must prove the four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care — Did the landowner have a duty to protect you from unreasonable dangers? The degree of a landowner's responsibility to keep you safe depends on what kind of visitor you are and your jurisdiction. Generally, anybody who is legally on the property is owed a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — If they fail in their duty, that constitutes a violation of that responsibility. That could mean not fixing a broken staircase, or not roping off a area of the property that isn't safe.
- Causation — Did the dangerous condition directly cause your injuries? If you fell because you were running, it's likely not the property owner's fault. Similarly, if you didn't observe an obvious hazard because you weren't looking where you were going, the property owner may argue that you were injured because you were distracted, not because of the dangerous condition.
- Damages — In order to make a claim, you have to have suffered harm. Usually, you need to show financial harm, such as lost wages and medical bills, to get a financial recovery for how the injury impacted you physically and mentally. If you sustained a bruise, but did not suffer any financial loss, you likely do not have enough to make a case.
Halvorsen Klote's Hannibal, MO premises liability attorneys have taken on, proven and won these types of cases before. If you want to discuss your case, or have questions about filing a personal injury lawsuit, don't hesitate to speak to one of our attorneys at no charge at 866-382-4167.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents in Hannibal, MO
Slip and Falls
Falling is the number one most common nonfatal preventable injury. Slip and falls are responsible for over one million emergency room visits a year, and are the primary cause of lost days from work.
Slip and falls can be caused by:
- Wet or oily floors
- Broken staircases, handrails or floors
- Ice or snow
- Loose cords
- Uneven flooring, rugs or carpeting
These cases often arise in apartment buildings, offices or hotels. The owners of these properties must take reasonable steps to ensure that dangerous people don't have access to the building, or certain areas of it. Examples of proper security could include security guards or needing a keycard to enter the building. Typically, inadequate security claims occur after someone has been the victim of a crime. While the criminal justice system may secure a conviction of the offender, you'll usually need to take civil legal action – with the help of premises liable attorneys – against a property owner to be compensated financially for your injuries and emotional anguish.
Swimming Pool and Amusement Park Accidents
Swimming pool accidents usually happen to children. Drowning is the leading cause of death to children between the ages of one and four. Public swimming pools must have lifeguards, and have strict measures to protect children from injuring themselves.
In 2016, over 30,000 people went to the emergency room for injuries sustained at amusement parks. Injuries can be caused by mechanical issues, operator error, collisions, malfunctioning safety belts, electrician structural issues. Amusement park owners must ensure that the rides meet safety requirements. If you were injured because of their negligence, our Hannibal, MO premises liability attorneys will help you secure justice and maximum compensation.
Fire and Smoke Injuries
There are strict laws for smoke detectors and fire exits in public, private and business properties. Fires can cause terrible injuries and lifelong scarring, and even the inhalation of smoke can create substantial health risks. If a property owner did not adhere to local fire codes, your Hannibal, MO premises liability lawyers at Halvorsen Klote can hold them liable for any injuries you sustain. Liability can occur because of a variety of factors, from faulty wiring or gas leaks to missing or broken sprinkler systems.
Construction companies have a responsibility to keep their construction zones safe. If you were hurt in a construction site accident in a slip and fall, car accident or by falling debris because the site was not properly secured, you can make a claim against the construction company.
Whatever the nature of your specific injuries, if you were injured because a property owner or manager was negligent, call Halvorsen Klote's Hannibal, MO premises liability attorneys for the maximum financial recovery you are owed.
What Compensation Can I Receive For My Hannibal, MO Premises Liability Injuries?
How much your injuries worth depends on the financial, physical and mental hardships your accident caused. With experienced Hannibal, MO premises liability attorneys, you cans secure a financial recovery:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time spent recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your accident results in permanent disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as transportation to and from medical appointments
- Noneconomic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, disability, scarring and loss of consortium
How much money you get in your premises liability settlement will be based on the severity of your injuries, how they have affected your life and the abilities of your Hannibal, MO premises liability attorneys.
What Our Hannibal, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Can Do For You
When it comes to pursuing a premises liability case, the role of a lawyer is essential. When you hire us, our premises liability attorneys will:
- Investigate the accident and come up with a legal strategy that gets you the best possible results
- Obtain evidence, including maintenance reports, inspections, proof of any previously files complaints and/or surveillance footage
- Take depositions from witnesses, employees or others who may be familiar with the hazard
- Be available whenever you need us to be and answer any question you may have
- Handle all the legal aspects of your claim so you can focus on healing
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the other side will not be fair in negotiations
Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will be by your side every step of the way, and will not stop until you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Other injury cases we take on in Hannibal, MO include:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Reach Out to Halvorsen Klote's Hannibal, MO Premises Liability Attorneys Today
The thought of going up against a large insurance company can be intimidating. But, if you were injured because of someone else's negligence, you are entitled to full compensation. We've committed our practice to helping the average person get the same expert legal representation as the people who injured them. If you were injured because of a Hannibal, MO property owner's negligence, call our premises liability attorneys today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.