Injury Claim Lawyer Hannibal, MO
Hannibal, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Evaluation | Hannibal, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Injury Claim Lawyer in Hannibal, MO. Injuries can happen to anyone almost anytime, creating sudden and harsh financial, physical and emotional afflictions. It's normal to be angry when your injuries result from someone else's thoughtless actions. Missouri and Illinois law allows for a channel for injured victims to receive compensation for their injuries through personal injury claims. Most of the time, it can be difficult for Hannibal, MO residents to recover fair compensation without the help of an injury claim lawyer. At Halvorsen Klote, we have dedicated our careers to getting clients in Missouri and Southern Illinois a full financial recovery, and providing them with the same high standard of legal representation as large insurance companies. If you were injured through no fault of your own, call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.
Common Causes of Personal Injury Claims | Hannibal, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Personal injury claims are are the manner through which you can seek restitution for injuries caused by someone else's inattentive, reckless, or intentional behavior. While determining who is liable depends on the unique facts of your injury, most cases will be decided by law governing one of a number of common accident types. Some of the most common cases our injury claim lawyer team delivers maximum compensation for our clients in in Hannibal, MO are:
- Auto crashes, such as
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
Whatever the cause of your injuries, trust your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Hannibal, MO to get you the best possible financial recovery. If you've been hurt because of somebody else's negligence, reach out to us as soon as possible so we can start working on your claim.
Determining If You Have an Injury Claim | Hannibal, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
You cannot receive compensation for every injury; you must demonstrate that someone else is responsible for your damages. In order for your claim to be successful, your injury claim lawyer must prove the five elements of negligence:
- Duty of Care: Confirming a duty of care is predominant a personal injury claim. You must demonstrate that the defendant had a duty to your safety. If you were injured in an auto accident, the other driver automatically had a responsibility, as both Missouri and Illinois have stipulated that motorists owe other drivers, passengers, bicyclists and pedestrians a duty of care. Other associations, a doctor-patient relationship or that between a property manager and patron, have defined duties of care.
- Breach of Duty: Next, you need to show that the person who had an obligation to your safety did not act as a reasonable person would or as the law demands.
- Cause in Fact: Following that, you must demonstrate that were it not for the defendant's actions or inaction, you would not have incurred any injuries. So, if a driver had not been drunk, or a defective product had been recalled, you would not have incurred the damages for which you are making a claim.
- Proximate Cause: This relates to liable for the cause in fact. A doctor may not be held liable if they followed standard procedures, even if they missed a diagnosis.
- Damages: The last thing you need to demonstrate is that you incurred damages. In a personal injury claim, that means you were injured. If you were rear-ended and the only consequence was minor cosmetic damage to your vehicle, you probably will not be able to file a valid claim because you did not sustain any actual injury.
Every Hannibal, MO injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to take on, prove, and get great results in every type of personal injury case. If don't know whether or not your injuries can be attributed to someone else's negligence, you need to consult with an injury claim lawyer right away. Our consultation is free, so there's no risk in calling us to discuss your claim.
Frequently Asked Questions | Hannibal, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Most of our Hannibal, MO clients have never had to make an injury claim before and are anxious about the process and how it works. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions our injury claim lawyer team receives in Hannibal, MO:
How Much Compensation Should I Expect to Recover?
That will vary depending on the individual circumstances of your injury, the scope of your damages and the skill of your Hannibal, MO injury claim lawyer. We can help you recover a financial restitution for:
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
- Lost wages if your injury prevented you from being able to fulfill the functions of your job
- Decreased earning capacity if your injuries result in disability
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up appointments
- Assistive devices such as modifications to your home or vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
Your Hannibal, MO injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to correctly value claims and deliver you the maximum compensation you are owed.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
There are some notably exceptions in each state, but it is crucial to get in touch with an injury claim lawyer in Hannibal, MO as soon as you can after being in an accident so that the time limit does not run out.
What Is The Burden of Proof in Personal Injury Claims?
The phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt" is ubiquitous in American culture. That's the burden of proof that juries and judges must observe in criminal court to protect innocent people from incarceration. Personal injury claims are settled and tried in civil court, and the the relevant burden of proof is a preponderance of the evidence. Under that standard a jury or insurance adjuster must find only that there is a more than than 50 percent chance that the claim is true.
That means that if a drunk driver gets out of their criminal case because of errors in a police reports, you can still hold them to blame in a civil case.
If you and your injury claim lawyer decide to pursue punitive damages, you must provide clear and convincing evidence, which is a higher standard than preponderance of the evidence but lower than beyond a reasonable doubt.
How Long Does an Injury Claim Take?
Again, that can vary based on the particulars of your case. The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that 96 percent of tort lawsuits are settled before they ever get in front of a judge and jury. A settlement may only take a few months, while you might have to wait for up to two years if a case in Hannibal, MO goes to court. If your injuries do not have a permanent affect on your life, it might be preferable to wait until you've reached maximum medical improvement so you can be compensated for your full medical expenses.
How do Personal Injury Claims Work?
Generally, after you've been injured by somebody else's negligence in Hannibal, MO, you can expect the process to unfold as follows:
- You get medical attention (and continue care as long as necessary).
- You discuss your claim with an injury claim lawyer.
- The attorney conducts an investigation into your claim and acquires evidence, for instance police reports and medical records.
- Your injury claim lawyer makes a formal settlement demand letter.
- If the settlement demand is not met, your injury claim lawyer may choose to negotiate or may immediately file a lawsuit.
- Your lawyer enters the discovery phase, where they acquire futher evidence and obtain expert testimony.
- Your injury claim lawyer and the the other party enter negotiations before an impartial intermediary in mediation.
- We take your case to court if we do not secure a fair settlement offer in negotiations.
Can I Still Receive Compensation if I Was Partially Liable?
Yes. Missouri is a "pure comparative negligence" state, which means your financial recovery will be reduced by the percent of fault you share. So if a jury decides your damages add up to $100,000 but establishes you were 30 percent to blame, you will only collect $70,000. Illinois is considered a "modified comparative negligence" state, which means you can only receive a financial recovery if you are less than half to blame.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire an Injury Claim Lawyer? | Hannibal, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
You might be apprehensive about whether or not you can afford legal representation in Hannibal, MO because the medical bills and lost wages are piling up and you're not sure you can pay for an attorney. A benefit of hiring an injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote is, in contrast to criminal defense lawyers in Hannibal, MO, we work on a contingency fee basis. There are three main advantages to that:
- There are no upfront costs. Rather than getting an hourly rate, we are paid with percentage of the compensation you receive — only after you get paid.
- You owe us nothing if we do not secure a successful resolution for your case. A Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer only earns a living by utilizing their talent and dedication to attain a successful resolution in your case.
- We only take cases on when we sincerely believe we can significantly increase your compensation . We assume the risk of utilizing our resources to win your case, and we won't make promises we can't keep or mislead you.
Whatever your present economic situation may be, a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Hannibal, MO will take on your case and fight with all of our resources to see you get the great results you are owed.
Take a look at the these links to find out what other services we offer in Hannibal, MO:
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Hannibal, MO Injury Claim Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
You don't have to go through the complex legal process alone. When you hire a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in Hannibal, MO, we start building your case right away and keep you informed until we secure a successful resolution. We make sure you understand your claim and the law so you can do the best thing for you and your Hannibal, MO family. Call an injury claim lawyer in Hannibal, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.