Injury Claim Lawyer California, MO
California, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Evaluation | California, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Injury Claim Lawyer in California, MO. No one expects to be injured, but when they are it creates unforeseen and harsh economic, physical and emotional afflictions. It can be maddening when your injuries are caused by someone else's negligence. Missouri and Illinois law supply a channel for injured victims to receive compensation for their injuries in the form of personal injury claims. Usually, you'll need the aid of an injury claim lawyer in California, MO to get the most value for your claim. At Halvorsen Klote, we have devoted our lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the highest level of legal representation that matches and exceeds that of large insurance companies. If you were injured because someone else was negligent, call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.
Leading Causes of Personal Injury Claims | California, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Personal injury claims are legal claims seeking restitution for injuries caused by someone else's careless, reckless, or willful actions. While determining who is liable depends on the specific facts of your injury, most cases will be decided by law governing one of several common accident types. Some of the most frequent claims our injury claim lawyer team helps the injured with in California, MO are:
- Auto crashes, such as
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
Regardless of how you sustained your injuries, trust your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in California, MO to know how maximize the value of your claim. To take the first step in recovering restitution for your injuries, contact us right away so we can start working on your claim.
Determining If You Have an Injury Claim | California, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
Not all injuries and accidents are cause for an injury or accident claim; you must show that someone else is to blame for your damages. In order for your injury claim lawyer to win your case, they must prove the five elements of negligence:
- Duty of Care: Confirming a duty of care is predominant your claim. You must substantiate that the defendant had a responsibility to keep you safe. If you were injured in an auto accident, the other driver automatically had a responsibility, as both Missouri and Illinois have put into law that drivers owe other drivers, passengers, bicyclists and pedestrians a duty of care. Other associations, such as between a doctor and patient or a property owner and patron, have predetermined duties of care.
- Breach of Duty: Next, you must show that the person who owed you a duty of care did not act as a reasonable person would or as the law dictates.
- Cause in Fact: Following that, you must demonstrate that were it not for the defendant's actions or inaction, your injuries would not have occurred. Meaning, if a driver had not been following you too closely, or if a restaurant manager had put a "wet floor" sign up, you would not have been injured.
- Proximate Cause: This relates to whether the cause in fact was really the the other party's fault. A physician may not be held responsible if they followed standard procedures, even if they missed a diagnosis.
- Damages: The last thing you need to demonstrate is that you sustained damages. In a personal injury claim, that means you have to provide documentation of your injuries. If you're in a slip and fall and only suffer a minor bruise that goes away after a couple days, you likely will not be able to bring a sound claim because you did not incur any actual damages.
Every California, MO injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to prove the five elements of negligence and get you the maximum compensation you are entitled to. If you're uncertain if another party bears responsibility for your damages, get in touch with an injury claim lawyer as soon as you can. Our consultation is free, so there's no reason not to call us to discuss your claim.
Frequently Asked Questions | California, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
When we take on a new case in California, MO, it's typically the first time our client has gone through an injury claim and is understandably uncertain about the process and how it works. Read on below for some FAQs from your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in California, MO:
How Much Is My Injury Claim Worth?
That will vary depending on the specifics of your injury, the extent of your damages and the expertise of your California, MO injury claim lawyer. With our assistance you can collect a financial restitution for:
- Property damage, like damage to your car
- Wage loss if your injury prevented you from being able to fulfill the functions of your job
- Diminished earning potential if your injuries result in disability
- Medical bills, for instance:
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors' appointments
- Assistive devices such as modifications to your home or car
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Your California, MO injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to correctly value claims and secure you the complete financial recovery you are entitled to.
What's the Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Claim?
In Missouri, you generally have five years after the date you sustained your injury to file a claim, while you have just two years in Illinois.
Both states offer rare exceptions for age or disability, but it is essential to reach out to an injury claim lawyer in California, MO as soon as you can after an injury so that the time limit does not run out.
What Is The Burden of Proof in Personal Injury Claims?
We've all heard the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt." That's the burden of proof that juries and judges must observe in criminal cases so that there is no chance that an innocent person is imprisoned. Personal injury claims are settled and tried in civil court, and the burden of proof is called a preponderance of the evidence. That means that a fact-finder — whoever makes the final decision in your case — must find only that the claim is more likely than not to be true.
That means that if a drunk driver avoids a criminal conviction because of mistakes in a police reports, you can still seek restitution from them in a civil court.
If your injury claim lawyer is helping you pursue punitive damages, you must show clear and convincing evidence, which means that the jury or insurance adjuster are left with a clear conviction that the claim is probably true.
How Long Does an Injury Claim Take?
Again, that can change based on the specifics of your claim. The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that 96 percent of tort suits are settled out of court. If the parties settle, a claim can be resolved within a few months, while a case that makes it to trial in California, MO can take up to two years. If your injuries do not have lifelong consequences, your injury claim lawyer may suggest waiting until you've reached maximum medical improvement so you know the full extent of your medical expenses.
How do Personal Injury Claims Work?
Typically, following an injury caused by another person's careless behavior in California, MO, the order of events is as follows:
- You get medical treatment (and keep with it until you have fully recovered).
- You consult with an injury claim lawyer.
- The lawyer conducts an investigation into your case and collects evidence, such as police reports and medical records.
- Your injury claim lawyer makes an official settlement demand letter.
- If the settlement demand is denied, your injury claim lawyer will decide if the best plan of attack is to try to negotiate or file a lawsuit.
- The discovery phase begins, wherein your attorney obtains more evidence and collects expert opinions.
- Your injury claim lawyer and the insurance company enter negotiations in front of an impartial party in mediation.
- We take your case to trial if negotiations do not result in a fair settlement offer.
Can I Still Collect Compensation if I Was Partially Responsible for the Injury?
Yes. Missouri is a "pure comparative negligence" state, which means your compensation will be taken out by the percent of blame you bear for the accident. So if a jury awards you $100,000 but determines you were 30 percent responsible, you will only receive $70,000. Illinois is similar, but is a "modified comparative negligence" state, which means you will not receive a financial recovery if you are more than half responsible.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire an Injury Claim Lawyer? | California, MO Injury Claim Lawyer
You might be worried about whether or not you can afford legal representation in California, MO because the medical bills and lost wages are piling up and you're not sure you can pay for an attorney. An advantage to hiring an injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote is, in contrast to other lawyers in California, MO, we are paid with a contingency fee. There are three main benefits to that:
- We charge no upfront fees. Because we don't charge an hourly amount, we are paid with portion of the compensation you are awarded — but not before we win or settle your case.
- We charge nothing if we do not secure a successful resolution for your claim. A Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer only earns a living by utilizing their talent and drive to get you the best possible results.
- We won't take on your case unless we truly believe we will be able to substantially increase your final recovery . We assume the risk of using our resources for you, and we won't make promises we can't keep or mislead you.
Whatever your present financial circumstances may be, a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in California, MO will be by your side and fight for you to get you the great results you are owed.
Check out the following links to find out what other services we offer in California, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
California, MO Injury Claim Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
You shouldn't have to pay because someone else was negligent and injured you. When you hire a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in California, MO, we start building your claim right away and maintain an open and consistent line of communication with you throughout the entire process. We make sure you understand your claim and the law so you can do the best thing for you and your California, MO family. Call an injury claim lawyer in California, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.