Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in California, MO
California, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | California, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in California, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation clients in California, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the California, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in California, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your California, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from California, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped California, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the California, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in California, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our California, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your California, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My California, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote California, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and skilled California, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in California, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our California, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in California, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in California, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our California, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in California, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.