Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in California, MO
California, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | California, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in California, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in California, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in California, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in California, MO to secure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in California, MO can provide assistance in a multitude of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to provide as few money as achievable. We'll make sure they understand their lawful obligation to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or overlook critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can validate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced California, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial consultation through a jury or bench trial.
California, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffice-related deaths. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in California, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your California, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from California, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped California, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the California, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in California, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the causes of your accident. Each accident is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as headlights, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our California, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, your California, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My California, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote California, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? A seasoned and skilled California, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in California, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our California, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in California, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to help you get better physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in California, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in California, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our California, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their lives to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in California, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.