What to Do After a Car Accident in California, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | California, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in California, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They are always unexpected, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in California, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring everyday people in California, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in California, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be confusing. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take photos — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in California, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your California, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My California, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in California, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get maximum compensation and protect your future.
There are several circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in California, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in California, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in California, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable California, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your California, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced California, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced California, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in California, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in California, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in California, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote California, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.