What to Do After a Car Accident in Owensville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Owensville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Owensville, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Owensville, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring the average person in Owensville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Owensville, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be staggering. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Owensville, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Owensville, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect yourself. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Owensville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Owensville, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your future.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Owensville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you acquire evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Owensville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Owensville, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Owensville, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Owensville, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Owensville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Owensville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Owensville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Owensville, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Owensville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Owensville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.