What to Do After a Car Accident in Oakland, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Oakland, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Oakland, MO. Car accidents are all too common in today's world. They happen without any notice, and can cause devastating physical, mental and economic hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Oakland, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring everyday people in Oakland, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Oakland, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and render aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Oakland, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Oakland, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Oakland, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Oakland, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get full compensation and protect your future.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Oakland, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Oakland, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to truly know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Oakland, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Oakland, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Oakland, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Oakland, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Oakland, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Oakland, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Oakland, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Oakland, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Oakland, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.