What to Do After a Car Accident in Ellisville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ellisville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Ellisville, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can cause significant physical, mental and economic damage. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Ellisville, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in Ellisville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Ellisville, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Ellisville, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Ellisville, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you speak with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Ellisville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Ellisville, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Ellisville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Ellisville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Ellisville, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Ellisville, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Ellisville, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Ellisville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Ellisville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Ellisville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Ellisville, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Ellisville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Ellisville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.