What to Do After a Car Accident in Hermann, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hermann, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Hermann, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of today's world. They are always unanticipated, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Hermann, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring that those injured in Hermann, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Hermann, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Hermann, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Hermann, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by another driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Hermann, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Hermann, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Hermann, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Hermann, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Hermann, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Hermann, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Hermann, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Hermann, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Hermann, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Hermann, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Hermann, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Hermann, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Hermann, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.