What to Do After a Car Accident in Herculaneum, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Herculaneum, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Herculaneum, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in today's world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can cause ruinous physical, emotional and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to protect your future. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Herculaneum, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring that those injured in Herculaneum, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Herculaneum, MO
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Herculaneum, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Herculaneum, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you consult with with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Herculaneum, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Herculaneum, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get full compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Herculaneum, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Herculaneum, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Herculaneum, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Herculaneum, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Herculaneum, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Herculaneum, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Herculaneum, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Herculaneum, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Herculaneum, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Herculaneum, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Herculaneum, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.