What to Do After a Car Accident in Moberly, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moberly, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Moberly, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Moberly, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Moberly, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Moberly, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Document the scene — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Moberly, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Moberly, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Moberly, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Moberly, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get maximum compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Moberly, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Moberly, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Moberly, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Moberly, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Moberly, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Moberly, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Moberly, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Moberly, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Moberly, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Moberly, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Moberly, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.