What to Do After a Car Accident in Clayton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Clayton, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Clayton, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and economic hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to protect yourself. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Clayton, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in Clayton, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Clayton, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Clayton, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Clayton, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in discussing your case with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your financial well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Clayton, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Clayton, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Clayton, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Clayton, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Clayton, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Clayton, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Clayton, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Clayton, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Clayton, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Clayton, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Clayton, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Clayton, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Clayton, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.