What to Do After a Car Accident in Mexico, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mexico, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Mexico, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair financial recovery you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Mexico, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in Mexico, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Mexico, MO
Being in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Mexico, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Mexico, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation are owed. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every follow-up, physical therapy and/or chiropractic appointment. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Mexico, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Mexico, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive maximum compensation and protect your rights.
There are several situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Mexico, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Mexico, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote Mexico, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Mexico, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Mexico, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Mexico, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Mexico, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Mexico, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Mexico, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Mexico, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Mexico, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Mexico, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.