What to Do After a Car Accident in Creve Coeur, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Creve Coeur, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Creve Coeur, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, mental and financial burdens. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to protect your future. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Creve Coeur, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring that those injured in Creve Coeur, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Creve Coeur, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be confusing. However, it's essential to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Creve Coeur, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Creve Coeur, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Creve Coeur, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Creve Coeur, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your rights.
There are several circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who caused accident, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one passed away in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Creve Coeur, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal issues — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Creve Coeur, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Creve Coeur, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Creve Coeur, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Creve Coeur, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Creve Coeur, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Creve Coeur, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Creve Coeur, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Creve Coeur, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.