What to Do After a Car Accident in Wardsville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wardsville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Wardsville, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and economic burdens. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what steps to take to get the full and fair financial recovery you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Wardsville, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring the average person in Wardsville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in Wardsville, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and provide medical attention if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking lot to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Wardsville, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Wardsville, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Wardsville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Wardsville, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Wardsville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Wardsville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Wardsville, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Wardsville, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Wardsville, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Wardsville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Wardsville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Wardsville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Wardsville, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Wardsville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Wardsville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.