What to Do After a Car Accident in Fairview Heights, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fairview Heights, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Fairview Heights, IL. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in today's world. They can happen to anyone, at any time, and can cause significant physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your future. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Fairview Heights, IL, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring the average person in Fairview Heights, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Fairview Heights, IL
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to assign blame in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Fairview Heights, IL or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Fairview Heights, IL Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Fairview Heights, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Fairview Heights, IL and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are many situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Fairview Heights, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Fairview Heights, IL car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Fairview Heights, IL car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Fairview Heights, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Fairview Heights, IL car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Fairview Heights, IL, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Fairview Heights, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Fairview Heights, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Fairview Heights, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.