What to Do After a Car Accident in Linn, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Linn, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Linn, MO. Car accidents are all too common in the modern world. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can cause considerable physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your legal rights. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Linn, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our careers to ensuring everyday people in Linn, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Linn, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's important to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Linn, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Linn, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by another driver, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in asking us to look over your case, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think you are owed much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Linn, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Linn, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and defend your future.
There are several circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Linn, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Linn, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Linn, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Linn, MO car accident lawyer can help your case:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Linn, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Linn, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Linn, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable aid after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Linn, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Linn, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Linn, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Linn, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.