Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO
Linn, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Linn, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Linn, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Linn, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Linn, MO to guarantee the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Linn, MO can give support in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to offer as few money as achievable. We'll make sure they understand their legal duty to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or neglect important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a disadvantage.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, review medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can support your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Linn, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Linn, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy speaks to the ruinous damage motorists can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Linn, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents cause more severe injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Linn, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Linn, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Linn, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Linn, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Linn, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. According to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Linn, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Linn, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and knowledgeable Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Linn, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, see your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Most injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Linn, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Linn, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their profession to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Linn, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.