Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO
Linn, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Linn, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Linn, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Linn, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for over twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Linn, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Linn, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Linn, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Linn, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Linn, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Linn, MO roadways. If a hazard such as uneven pavement played a part in your accident, your Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is crucial to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Linn, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? A seasoned and talented Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Linn, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Linn, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Linn, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Linn, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Linn, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Linn, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.