Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in St. Robert, MO
St. Robert, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Robert, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in St. Robert, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in St. Robert, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the St. Robert, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The discrepancy points to the ruinous destruction drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in St. Robert, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road cause more severe injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your St. Robert, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from St. Robert, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the St. Robert, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in St. Robert, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. According to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our St. Robert, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, your St. Robert, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My St. Robert, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote St. Robert, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and talented St. Robert, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in St. Robert, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our St. Robert, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in St. Robert, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in St. Robert, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our St. Robert, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in St. Robert, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.