What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Robert, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Robert, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in St. Robert, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They are always unanticipated, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and economic hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in St. Robert, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring that those injured in St. Robert, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in St. Robert, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's important to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in St. Robert, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your St. Robert, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your future. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My St. Robert, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in St. Robert, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are severe, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and protect your future.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in St. Robert, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in St. Robert, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in St. Robert, MO Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented St. Robert, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your St. Robert, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced St. Robert, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced St. Robert, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in St. Robert, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in St. Robert, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Robert, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote St. Robert, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.