What to Do After a Car Accident in Florissant, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Florissant, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Florissant, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of today's world. They can happen in the blink of an eye, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and economic hardships. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Florissant, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring the average person in Florissant, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal representation that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Florissant, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's crucial to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and give first aid if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Florissant, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Florissant, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Consult with a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt by a negligent driver, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure that your rights are protected. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you deserve much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your future. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Florissant, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Florissant, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the legal process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and defend your rights.
There are many circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Florissant, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for your injuries, a lawyer can help you gather evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Florissant, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Florissant, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Florissant, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can determine the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Florissant, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Florissant, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Florissant, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable guidance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Florissant, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Florissant, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Florissant, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Florissant, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.