What to Do After a Car Accident in O'Fallon, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | O'Fallon, IL Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in O'Fallon, IL. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in the modern world. They are always unanticipated, and can cause devastating physical, emotional and financial damage. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in O'Fallon, IL, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring the average person in O'Fallon, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same skilled legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free case review.
In the Moments Right After Your Car Accident in O'Fallon, IL
The moments immediately following a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in O'Fallon, IL or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your O'Fallon, IL Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My O'Fallon, IL Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in O'Fallon, IL and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in O'Fallon, IL to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who is at fault for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in O'Fallon, IL to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in O'Fallon, IL Do For My Claim?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced O'Fallon, IL car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your O'Fallon, IL car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the legal process. An experienced O'Fallon, IL car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced O'Fallon, IL car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in O'Fallon, IL, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in O'Fallon, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in O'Fallon, IL? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving the highest standard of legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote O'Fallon, IL injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.