Who Is Responsible in a Multi-Vehicle Accident? | Car Accident Lawyers St. Louis | Halvorsen Klote

Who Is Responsible in a Multi-Vehicle Accident?

In a Multi-Vehicle Accident? Call for a Free Consultation

Who is Responsible in a Multi-Vehicle Accident? The car accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have over a decade of combined experience investigating crashes and holding negligent parties accountable. Some cases, such as drunk driving accidents, are pretty cut-and-dry when it comes to determining liability. Multi-vehicle accidents are more complicated, and become increasingly so the more vehicles that are involved. If you've been injured in a multi-vehicle accident, call Halvorsen Klote today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free case review. You don't pay unless we win your case.

Multi-Vehicle Accidents

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 53 percent of motor vehicle accident fatalities in 2019 occured in single vehicle crashes. Multi-vehicle accidents are often called "chain reaction" crashes, as one car hits another, which hits another, and so on. Examples of chain reaction crashes include:

  • A rear-end collision, where one car is pushed into another car, or into an intersection where another car hits it.
  • A rollover or sideswipe accident, where a car is pushed into another lane and collides with other cars.
  • After a two-vehicle crash, other cars may crash into the first two vehicles if they are not moved to the side of the road.

Common Causes of Multi Vehicle Accidents:

While each car accident is different, there are some high-risk scenarios for multi-vehicle accidents. Common causes of multi-vehicle accidents in St. Louis and Southern Illinois are:

  • Adverse weather or road conditions
  • Speeding
  • Vehicles traveling too close together
  • Vehicles have nowhere to go to avoid a crash
  • Construction sites

Multi-vehicle accidents are especially common on highways because of the speed of the vehicles and traffic congestion.

Liability in Multi-Vehicle Accidents

While in most car accident claims liability is between two drivers, there may be multiple liable parties in accidents involving more than two cars. It may be easy to assume that the car that initiated the crash is at fault for the entirety of the accident, but that isn't always the case. Say, for example, that Distracted Driver A hits Driver B, and Drunk Driver C then crashes into Driver B. Both Drivers A and B would share responsibility for Driver B's damages.

Missouri is a pure comparative fault state, which means that each person involved in a personal injury claim is responsible for the percentage of damage that they caused. If a fact finder determines that Driver A is responsible for just 30 percent of the damages, then Driver C would be liable for the remaining 70 percent of the damages.

Illinois is similar, but uses "modified" comparative fault. That means that, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, no party can recover damages if they are more than 50 percent responsible for the accident.

As always in car accident cases, a manufacturer may be responsible for product liability if a defective component contributed to the crash. In truck accident cases, a trucking company may be liable.

St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote

Investigation and litigation are complicated in multi-vehicle accidents. You need experienced and knowledgeable car accident lawyers on your side to evaluate your claim and hold the liable parties accountable. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we fight hard for your compensation and keep you informed throughout the entire process. If you've been in a multi-vehicle accident, or were injured in any kind of accident through no fault of your own, call Halvorsen Klote today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free case evaluation.