Average Settlement For Whiplash
St. Louis Whiplash Lawyers
Average Settlement for Whiplash. If you sustained a whiplash injury because of someone else's reckless or careless actions, the St. Louis whiplash lawyers will help you receive compensation for your injuries. We fight hard for our clients in St. Louis and Southern Illinois to get them the compensation they deserve. Call a Halvorsen Klote whiplash injury lawyer today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free case review.
Whiplash injuries, also called whiplash associated disorders, are a general term for an injury to the neck that occurs when the head suddenly whips back and forth in a "whip-like" motion. They are common injuries in car accidents, especially rear-end collisions, and slip and falls. A whiplash injury is loosely defined, but they usually involve the muscles, discs, nerves and tendons in your spine.
Severity of Whiplash Injuries
The settlement amount you receive will largely be based on the severity of your whiplash injury. From a medical standpoint, the severity of a whiplash injury is graded on a scale from 0 to 5:
- Grade 0: No complaints about neck. No physical signs.
- Grade 1: Complaints about neck pain, tenderness or stiffness only. No physical signs. These usually heal by with minimal treatment within 12 weeks.
- Grade 2: Neck complaints and musculoskeletal signs, including decreased range of motion and pain when pressure is placed on a specific point. These can take six months or longer to heal and require regular treatment.
- Grade 3: Neck complaints and neurological signs, such as decreased tendon reflexes, weakness and sensory deficits. These can take up to a year to fully heal and require regular physical therapy.
- Grade 4: Neck complaints and fracture, dislocation or damage to spinal discs. Can take over a year to fully heal and may require permanent monthly treatment after.
- Grade 5: Severe neck injury. These require surgery in order to be stabilized.
One study suggested that 20-40 percent of whiplash patients develop chronic symptoms.
How Much Can I Get in a Whiplash Settlement?
Higher grades of whiplash require more medical treatment and have a greater impact on your daily life, so the compensation will be higher. Mild and moderate whiplash injuries are the most common and can settle for anywhere between $2,500 to $20,000 dollars. Moderate to severe injuries can settle for upwards of $100,000. In cases where your whiplash injury requires permanent treatment and/or does not allow you to work anymore, the settlement can be millions of dollars.
What is My Whiplash Injury Settlement Based On?
When you suffer a whiplash injury because of someone else's negligence in St. Louis or Southern Illinois, it's important to contact a whiplash lawyer right away to make sure you are fully compensated for all of your damages. Your damages include:
- Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Medical expenses, such as physical therapy appointments or neck braces
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
St. Louis Whiplash Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
If you sustained a whiplash injury through no fault of your own, contact the St. Louis whiplash injury lawyers of Halvorsen Klote. We provide expert and personalized legal representation to the injured in St. Louis and Southern Illinois. 877-51-HKLAW or contact us
How Much Money Do You Get From a Car Accident Settlement?
Who Is Responsible in a Multi-Vehicle Accident?