What to Do After a Car Accident in Mehlville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mehlville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Mehlville, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to devastating physical, emotional and financial damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to protect your future. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Mehlville, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our careers to ensuring that those injured in Mehlville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Mehlville, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 right away and provide medical attention if you know how to.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine fault in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence later on.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about what you did leading up the crash.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Mehlville, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Mehlville, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident scene, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If the insurance company is offering you the settlement you need, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Mehlville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Mehlville, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and protect your future.
There are several circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Mehlville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were injured in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As wrongful death claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Mehlville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Mehlville, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Mehlville, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Mehlville, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Mehlville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Mehlville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Mehlville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Mehlville, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Mehlville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Mehlville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.