What to Do After a Car Accident in Marlborough, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Marlborough, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Marlborough, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of today's world. They can happen in a heartbeat, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and economic damage. If you were injured by a negligent driver, you need to know what steps to take to protect your legal rights. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Marlborough, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring everyday people in Marlborough, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Marlborough, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's important to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel right away and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Marlborough, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Marlborough, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, you still need to follow certain steps to ensure you get the compensation are owed. These include:
- Seek medical attention if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you speak with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Marlborough, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Marlborough, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, you may be able to represent yourself. But, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get fair compensation and protect your future.
There are several situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Marlborough, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can determine how much fault each party shares, and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Marlborough, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Marlborough, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will stand by your side and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Marlborough, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company for you ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Marlborough, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Marlborough, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Marlborough, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable guidance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Marlborough, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in Marlborough, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Marlborough, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Marlborough, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.