Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Marlborough, MO
Marlborough, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Marlborough, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Marlborough, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Marlborough, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Marlborough, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in auto crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The deviation points to the ruinous destruction motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Marlborough, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Marlborough, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Marlborough, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Marlborough, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need talented and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Marlborough, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Marlborough, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Marlborough, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, your Marlborough, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Marlborough, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Marlborough, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and knowledgeable Marlborough, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Marlborough, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Marlborough, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to lean on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Marlborough, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Marlborough, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Marlborough, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Marlborough, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.