What to Do After a Car Accident in Eldon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Eldon, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Eldon, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They happen without any notice, and can cause devastating physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're legally entitled to. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Eldon, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our practice to ensuring everyday people in Eldon, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Eldon, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's imperative to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Don't leave the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 obligate you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report is essential for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Eldon, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Eldon, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't say anything before you discuss your case with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We collect our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, call a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote immediately.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Eldon, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Eldon, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are numerous situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Eldon, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Eldon, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Eldon, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways an experienced Eldon, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Eldon, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Eldon, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Eldon, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Eldon, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Eldon, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Eldon, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Eldon, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.