Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Eldon, MO
Eldon, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Eldon, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Eldon, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Eldon, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Eldon, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Eldon, MO to guarantee the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Eldon, MO can offer help in a multitude of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law honestly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about injury and accident law to provide as few money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful duty to reimburse you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, deposing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or overlook critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a disadvantage.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, analyze medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Eldon, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from initial case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Eldon, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to the horrible destruction drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Eldon, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Eldon, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Eldon, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Eldon, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Eldon, MO?
Who is liable depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Under the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Eldon, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Eldon, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Eldon, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Eldon, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and knowledgeable Eldon, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Eldon, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Eldon, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Eldon, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to help you recover physically and enhance your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, schedule a visit to your general practitioner as soon as possible. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-explain what happened. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always advisable to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Eldon, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Eldon, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Eldon, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Eldon, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.