What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Peters, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Peters, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in St. Peters, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of the modern world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to devastating physical, emotional and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your future. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in St. Peters, MO, speak to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring everyday people in St. Peters, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in St. Peters, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be staggering. However, it's crucial to stay calm and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and provide medical attention if you are able.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos — Get photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when filing your claim.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in St. Peters, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your St. Peters, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, like brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Document everything — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt through no fault of your own, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in discussing your case with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If the insurance company won't be fair, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My St. Peters, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in St. Peters, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you receive the best possible compensation and protect your future.
There are several situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in St. Peters, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is disagreement over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of the other driver, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle collisions — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in St. Peters, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to really know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in St. Peters, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented St. Peters, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're dealing with injuries and other damages. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your St. Peters, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced St. Peters, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced St. Peters, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in St. Peters, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in St. Peters, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Peters, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote St. Peters, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.