What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Charles, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Charles, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in St. Charles, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can lead to ruinous physical, emotional and economic hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you're owed. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in St. Charles, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in St. Charles, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that massive corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in St. Charles, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in St. Charles, MO or asking for an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your St. Charles, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the compensation are legally entitled to. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only so you heal properly, but so you get the full compensation you deserve.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to your injuries, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being being injured in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following the above steps, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My St. Charles, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in St. Charles, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require a lot of treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get the best possible compensation and protect your future.
There are numerous situations in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in St. Charles, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Liability dispute — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If a loved one died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in St. Charles, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate these issues and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
The only way to truly know if you need a lawyer is to talk to one. Speak to a Halvorsen Klote St. Charles, MO car accident lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in St. Charles, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable St. Charles, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, particularly if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your St. Charles, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced St. Charles, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced St. Charles, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in St. Charles, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we handle in St. Charles, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Charles, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote St. Charles, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.