What to Do After a Car Accident in Town and Country, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Town and Country, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Town and Country, MO. Car accidents are an unfortunate reality of modern society. They happen without any notice, and can lead to significant physical, emotional and economic damage. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what steps to take to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Town and Country, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring the average person in Town and Country, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case at no cost or obligation to you.
In the Moments Directly After Your Car Accident in Town and Country, MO
Being in a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's important to stay calm and take the steps outlined below:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is severely injured or unconscious, call 911 right away and render aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid being hurt by other cars.
- Don't leave the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the everyone else involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures — Use your phone to take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Town and Country, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Town and Country, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when describing the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance calls you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, it's important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand the injury claim process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't believe you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Town and Country, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Town and Country, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are severe, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are several situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Town and Country, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to accept responsibility, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As these cases result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Town and Country, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to consult with one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Town and Country, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Town and Country, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with crash experts and acquire other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are talented negotiators and can work to get you a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Town and Country, MO car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to be fair in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to start the process of the case going to trial.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can present evidence to support your case and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. An experienced Town and Country, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Town and Country, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during this trying time. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable assistance after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Town and Country, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Town and Country, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Town and Country, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and you need to know your rights and options. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Town and Country, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.