What to Do After a Car Accident in Ashland, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ashland, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Ashland, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately ubiquitous in the modern world. They are always unexpected, and can cause considerable physical, emotional and financial hardships. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what steps to take to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Ashland, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring everyday people in Ashland, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that massive insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website to discuss your case for free.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Ashland, MO
Being in a car accident can be confusing. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and do the following:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or unconscious, call for emergency personnel immediately and render aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. The point of calling the police isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is to blame. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Get the insurance and contact info of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the info of anyone who saw the accident.
- Take pictures — Get photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't admit fault — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Ashland, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Ashland, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are owed. These include:
- Go to the doctor if you haven't already — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to attend every treatment your physician recommends. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Document everything — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, documentation of medical expenses and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you navigate the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't treat you poorly. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think you are entitled to much more money than the insurance company is offering.
Being in a car accident can be a devastating experience, but taking the right steps after the accident is crucial in getting the financial recovery you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your legal rights. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Ashland, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Ashland, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, you'll likely need a lawyer to win your claim. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you get fair compensation and protect your rights.
There are many situations in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Ashland, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- Insurance company denial — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and negotiate a fair settlement.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died as a result of the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in high damages, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Ashland, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can guide you through these issues and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Ashland, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer to get fair compensation, they will stand by your side and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a talented Ashland, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can look over police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to build a strong case.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Ashland, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Ashland, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Ashland, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during this trying time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide indispensable assistance after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Ashland, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Ashland, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Ashland, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have a significant impact on your life, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving great legal representation to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, schedule a free consultation with a Halvorsen Klote Ashland, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.