What to Do After a Car Accident in Lemay, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lemay, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Lemay, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They happen without any notice, and can cause devastating physical, mental and financial burdens. If you were injured through no fault of your own, it's important to know what to do next to protect yourself. If you want to know what you should do after a car accident in Lemay, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've committed our practice to ensuring the average person in Lemay, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Lemay, MO
Getting injured in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's imperative to keep your wits about you and take the following steps:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call 911 right away and give first aid if you are able.
- Get out of the way of traffic — If possible, pull over to the side of the road or drive to a nearby parking lot to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if the damage and injuries don't seem too severe. Law enforcement will let you know when you can leave. Both Missouri law and Illinois law make it a felony to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. The point of this isn't to get the other person in trouble; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police know how to determine why an accident occurred and who is at fault. Their report will be vital for your insurance claim or if you need to file a lawsuit later on.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Seemingly minor details, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be crucial pieces of evidence when seeking compensation.
- Don't admit fault — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize; you do not know all the facts of the accident yet. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't go into too much detail about what you did leading up the crash.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Lemay, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Lemay, MO Car Accident
Once you've left the accident site, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights. Those are:
- Go to the doctor if you didn't immediately after the accident — Even if you feel fine after the accident, it's important to at least get examined by a medical professional. Certain injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, aren't noticeable immediately after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Continue your medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is important not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep detailed records of everything related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and insurance correspondence.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't say anything before you consult with with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers against you.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, but knowing what to do in the aftermath can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect your economic well-being as it relates to the accident. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Lemay, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a minor car accident in Lemay, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries are significant, you'll likely need a lawyer to make the insurance company be fair. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive full compensation and protect your future.
There are several circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Significant injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Lemay, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver refuses to be held accountable, a lawyer can help you obtain evidence and argue your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If there are multiple parties involved in the accident, a lawyer can help you navigate the complicated legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member passed away in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Lemay, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If there are legal technicalities that may impact your case, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you get the best possible compensation.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Lemay, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will fight on your behalf and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Lemay, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the accident — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party caused your injuries. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that you're not taken advantage of.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the full value of your claim to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Lemay, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf to begin the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Stand by your side in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in trial. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the personal injury process. An experienced Lemay, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover your full damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Offer peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Lemay, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can focus on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable aid after a car accident. If you've been injured in a car accident in Lemay, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we handle in Lemay, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Lemay, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and it's essential to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal advocacy to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Lemay, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.