What to Do After a Car Accident in Wellsville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wellsville, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Wellsville, MO. Car accidents are unfortunately commonplace in today's world. They happen without any notice, and can lead to devastating physical, mental and economic burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, you need to know what to do next to protect your legal rights. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Wellsville, MO, contact a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've pledged our practice to ensuring that those injured in Wellsville, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same expert legal representation that powerful corporations have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Wellsville, MO
Being in a car accident can be chaotic. However, it's crucial to stay calm and do the following:
- Check for injuries — Check yourself and any passengers to see if you or they have been hurt. If anyone is hurt or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you know how to.
- Move to a safe location — If you and your vehicle are able, pull over to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid blocking traffic and avoid getting hit by other cars.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri Revised Statute §577.060 and 625 ILCS 5/11-401 make it a crime to leave the scene of any accident that causes bodily injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, it's important to call the police to file a report. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; you just need police to document the scene and the incident. Police are trained on how to assign fault in a car accident. Their report will be vital for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, as well as any injuries. Also take photos of the nearby street and the entire accident site. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like tire marks – or the lack thereof – can later make or break your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not admit fault or apologize, as this can be used against you later. When speaking with police and the other driver, be truthful but don't go into too much detail.
If serious injuries were sustained, get medical treatment right away by going to the nearest emergency room in Wellsville, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Wellsville, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to ensure you get the financial recovery are legally entitled to. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if your injuries don't feel serious in the moment, it's important to get checked out by a doctor. Certain injuries, for example brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Make a claim with both insurance companies as soon as possible to report the accident. Most insurance companies require you to file a claim within 30 days after an accident. Be honest and accurate when giving details about the accident, but don't accept responsibility admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to your injuries, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance company.
- Don't talk to the other driver's insurance company — If the other driver's insurance company contacts you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a personal injury lawyer. They will try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Contact a car accident lawyer — If you were hurt in the accident, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure that your rights are protected. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no downside for you in asking us to look over your case, and we won't take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be a traumatic occurrence, but knowing what to do in the aftermath is crucial in getting the compensation you deserve. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Wellsville, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Wellsville, MO with no injuries or minor injuries, you may be able to represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you navigate the injury claim process, ensure you get fair compensation and defend your rights.
There are several circumstances in which you may need a lawyer for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Wellsville, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If the other driver is blaming you for the accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The insurance adjuster will believe their policyholder over you, so you'll need evidence and a legal strategy to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know your claim is valid and the insurance company denies it, a lawyer can help you appeal the decision and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If multiple drivers were at fault, a lawyer can assign the appropriate amount of blame to each party, and look for as much insurance coverage as possible.
- Wrongful death — If someone you love died in the accident, a lawyer can file a wrongful death claim and seek compensation for your loss. As these claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Wellsville, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal complexities — If complex legal issues come into play, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Wellsville, MO Do For Me?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and deal with all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Wellsville, MO car accident lawyer can help you:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to demonstrate how the other party is liable. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and gather other evidence like surveillance footage to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer can handle all communication with insurance companies and ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the cost of your medical bills, lost wages and other damages to make sure no money is left on the table.
- File a lawsuit — If your Wellsville, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to begin the process of the case going to trial.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and convince the jury to see things from your point of view.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any doubts you may have about the injury claim process. An experienced Wellsville, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and non-economic damages.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Wellsville, MO car accident lawyer on your side can soothe any anxiety during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries while your lawyer handles the legal details.
A car accident lawyer can provide invaluable aid after a car accident. If you've been involved in a car accident in Wellsville, MO, you should at least speak with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer.
Other cases we take on in Wellsville, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
What to Do After a Car Accident in Wellsville, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your future. At Halvorsen Klote, we dedicate ourselves to giving high-quality legal advocacy to those who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. If you were injured a car accident and want to know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Wellsville, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.