What to Do After a Car Accident in Sappington, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sappington, MO Auto Accident Law Firm
What to do after a car accident in Sappington, MO. Car accidents are all too common in modern society. They are always unexpected, and can lead to ruinous physical, mental and financial burdens. If you find yourself in a car accident, it's important to know what to do next to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. If you're wondering what you should do after a car accident in Sappington, MO, reach out to a personal injury attorney at Halvorsen Klote. We've dedicated our careers to ensuring that those injured in Sappington, Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Immediately After Your Car Accident in Sappington, MO
The moments immediately following a car accident can be overwhelming. However, it's essential to stay calm and take the following steps:
- See if anyone is injured — Check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If anyone is severely injured or non-responsive, call for emergency personnel immediately and give first aid if you can.
- Move to a safe location — If possible, move your car to the side of the road or stop in a nearby parking area to avoid getting in the way of traffic and avoid being hurt by oncoming traffic.
- Stay at the scene — Stay at the scene of the accident, even if it seems minor. Wait for the police to arrive. Both Missouri law and Illinois law require you to remain at the scene of any accident that causes personal injury or death.
- Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, the police can write a report, and some jurisdictions require you to call the police. You're not doing this to cause problems for the other person; all they're there for is to write the report. Police are trained on how to determine blame in a car accident. Their report is essential for recovering the compensation you are owed.
- Exchange information — Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also ask for the contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the scene — Use your phone to take photos of both vehicles, in addition to your injuries. Also take photos of the surrounding scene. Things that seem insignificant at the time, like brake marks – or the lack thereof – can be what ends up proving your case.
- Don't take the blame — Do not take blame for the accident or apologize, as this can be used against you later. In interactions with police and the other driver, be truthful about how the events occurred, but don't over-share about your actions.
If you or anyone else is seriously injured, seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room in Sappington, MO or requesting an ambulance.
In the Days, Weeks and Months After Your Sappington, MO Car Accident
After the initial shock of the accident wears off, there are still several things you should do to protect yourself and your future. Those are:
- Seek medical attention if you haven't already — Even if you don't think you're seriously injured, it's important to at least get looked over by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, whiplash or internal bleeding, don't immediately show symptoms after an accident.
- Notify both insurance companies — Contact both insurance companies as quickly as your can. Most insurance companies have strict time limits for filing claims. Be honest and accurate when recounting the accident, but don't accept fault admit that you caused the accident.
- Keep going to medical treatment — Make sure to follow the full treatment plan recommended by your doctor. This is critical not only for your physical recovery, but it will increase your financial recovery as well.
- Keep records — Keep a file with all documents related to the accident, including police reports, medical bills and communications with the insurance adjuster.
- Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company — When the other driver's insurance reaches out to you, don't speak to them without first consulting with a car accident lawyer. They may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Call a car accident lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer immediately. They can help you understand the personal injury process and ensure the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you. We accept our attorneys' fees on a contingency fee basis, meaning there's no risk in consulting with us, and there's no reason for us to take on your case if we don't truly think we can add significant value to it.
Being in a car accident can be an overwhelming occurrence, but taking the right steps after the accident can make a big difference. By following our guidelines, you can help protect yourself. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to a car accident attorney at Halvorsen Klote for help.
Do I Need a Lawyer For My Sappington, MO Car Accident Claim?
If you've been in a slight car accident in Sappington, MO and your injuries are either non-existent or minor, it may be possible to get fair compensation if you represent yourself. However, if you're injuries require ongoing treatment, never accept a settlement offer without consulting with a car accident lawyer first. A lawyer can help you understand the injury claim process, ensure you receive fair compensation and defend your future.
There are numerous circumstances in which an attorney's services are required for a car accident claim, including:
- Serious injuries — If you have suffered serious injuries in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The higher your damages, the more the insurance company will fight your claim. That's when you need a car accident lawyer in Sappington, MO to hold them accountable and get the full compensation you deserve.
- Disagreement about who is at fault — If there is a dispute over who caused accident, a lawyer can apply the evidence and relevant laws to win your case. The other insurance company will take the side of their policyholder, so you'll need evidence and a legal argument to support your claim.
- A denied claim — If you know the other driver is responsible for your injuries but the insurance company denies the claim, a lawyer can review the evidence, policy and denial letter and get you the compensation you deserve.
- Multi-vehicle accident — If you were involved in a chain reaction accident, a lawyer can help you guide you through the complex legal issues that may arise.
- Wrongful death — If a family member died in the accident, a lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim and seek justice for you and your family. As wrongful death claims result in great amounts of compensation, you'll likely need to file a lawsuit in Sappington, MO to make a full financial recovery.
- Legal technicalities — If complex legal issues arise, such as statutes of limitations, rules of evidence, being hit by a government vehicle, getting injured in a hit and run or if you were partially at fault, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is properly presented to the insurance company or in court.
The best way to know if you need a lawyer is to speak to one. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167.
What Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Sappington, MO Do For My Case?
If you do need a lawyer for your claim, they will be your legal advocate and handle of all of the negotiation and litigation for you. Here are a few ways a knowledgeable Sappington, MO car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you are owed:
- Investigate the crash — A car accident lawyer can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. They can review police reports, take depositions, consult with accident reconstruction experts and obtain other evidence like video surveillance to have the best case possible.
- Handle communication with insurance companies — Communicating with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you're injured and need fair compensation. A car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf ensure that they're fair to you.
- Negotiate a settlement — Personal injury lawyers are aggressive negotiators and won't back down until you get a fair settlement for your car accident. They can calculate the extent of all your damages to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit — If your Sappington, MO car accident lawyer cannot secure fair compensation in negotiations or mediation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in court to start the process of the case going before a judge and jury.
- Represent you in court — If you have to go to court for your car accident, a lawyer can fight for you in front of a judge and jury. They can argue on your behalf and persuade the jury to empathize with you.
- Provide legal advice — An attorney can provide legal advice and assuage any concerns you may have about the legal process. An experienced Sappington, MO car accident lawyer should keep you up-to-date on your case. While the ultimate decision is left up to you, a lawyer will offer sound advice on whether it's best to settle or try to get more money.
- Help you receive fair compensation — A car accident lawyer can help you recover the full value of your damages after a car accident, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Provide peace of mind — Knowing that you have a knowledgeable and experienced Sappington, MO car accident lawyer on your side can provide peace of mind during a difficult time. You can spend your energy on your physical recovery while we handle your financial recovery.
A car accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance after a car accident. If you've been hurt in a car accident in Sappington, MO, call Halvorsen Klote now.
Other cases we take on in Sappington, MO include:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
What to Do After a Car Accident in Sappington, MO? Call Halvorsen Klote's Personal Injury Attorneys
A car accident can have devastating consequences, and you need to know how to best protect your rights. At Halvorsen Klote, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer care and on giving high-quality legal representation to everyday people. If you were injured a car accident and don't know what to do next, discuss your case with a Halvorsen Klote Sappington, MO injury attorney at 866-382-4167 or through our online contact form.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.